The process of finding the right wedding planner took me a little over 4 months, but to save you guys time (and headache!) here are some tips to help you find a planner that totally understands your style, budget, and personality!
1. Do your homework.
- Start by searching for wedding planners that specialize in your kind of wedding. For example: if you are hosting an Indian wedding, you would want to search for a planner that has experience planning an Indian wedding. Make sure to check previous weddings that they have planned and whether certain elements such as decor, lighting and colors are cohesive with your style. Check previous clients they have worked for and for any membership in professional associations.
2. Meet them in person
- Set up meetings with your favorite choices and make sure to share your wedding vision clearly with them. Meeting in person will give you a better sense of their style and whether your personalities mesh. This is crucial since your wedding planner will literally become your best friend (or worst enemy, but I hope not!) during the wedding planning process. It would suck to be working with someone you can’t get along with.
3. Share your wedding budget up front
- Don’t be afraid to be straight up about your budget. After sharing your dream wedding vision, find out if they are able to achieve it within your budget and ALWAYS allocate 10-15% of your budget for extra expenses that will add up at the end. Our wedding ended up costing 50% more than our original budget, so try to avoid that from the get-go and make sure you try to stick to your budget as much as possible.
4. Ask for their rate!
- DO NOT ASSUME they will charge you a low rate. Wedding planners can be very pricey. Some do work off of a percentage (that is usually 10-15% of your wedding budget) OR a fixed price depending on their experience and that can range from $5,000-$50,000. Know what they’re asking up front before you consider signing anything. On that note
5. Carefully read the contract
- I know this may sound boring but it’s extremely important as it will highlight both parties’ responsibilities and what services you will actually be getting. Make sure you are aware of how the planner handles cancellations, back-up plans for inclement weather if you are having an outdoor wedding, how many members are part of her wedding team and if that fee is all-inclusive.
GOOD LUCK! <3