As I’m getting closer to the delivery of my second baby, I can’t help but think of breastfeeding especially that my journey breastfeeding Serena was not a smooth one at all but it was all worth it. With perseverance, a few helpful products, and consulting with experts, I was able to breastfeed my daughter for a full year and I hope to be able to do the same with my second baby.
My breastfeeding journey:
I was never comfortable talking about my breastfeeding journey because I was afraid of getting mom shamed especially as a first time mom. We tend to get so much pressure from society to do things a certain way but after a full year of breastfeeding and entering motherhood, I’m extremely proud of myself for not giving up. Here’s a video highlighting my journey and what helped me survive a full year of breastfeeding:
Favorite breastfeeding products:
- Breast Pump – Nothing beats the Elvie pump in my opinion especially for the on-the-go mom.
- Nursing Bra – I prefer nursing bras with an underwire. They offered more support and lasted longer for me. I highly suggest investing in a white, nude, and a black nursing bra.
- Nursing pads – I never knew how important these where until I caught myself with a huge milk stain as I was casually shopping at Nordstrom. Moral of the story: Invest in them!
- Nursing night gowns – It was challenging for me to find nursing night gowns that were actually cute but surprisingly, Amazon had a few options linked here and here. I also don’t always shop for”nursing” attire, If I find a cute blouse or lounge set that’s a button up like this Sleeper set, I do invest in it.
- Nipple soothing pads – Your nipples will get sore and even bleed in some cases especially at the early stages of breastfeeding, these Mustela soothing pads provided me with instant relief and I liked the fact that you get to seal your nipples rather than have the gel go all over your nursing bra or pads.
- Nursing pillow – Packed this with me to the hospital and it was so worth it. I used it for about 4 months until I got really comfortable with breastfeeding. You can also use it for tummy time for your baby.
- Nursing Cover – I have invested in so many nursing covers and non worked for me except for this nursing shawl. Loved the material and style of it.
Wanting more motherhood content? Check out these blog posts:
Second Trimester Pregnancy Essentials and My top 10 newborn products